Reformation Readings of Paul
Did the Protestant Reformers understand Paul correctly? Has the church today been unduly influenced by Reformation-era misreadings of the Pauline epistles? These questions?especially as they pertain to Martin Luther's interpretation of the Pauline doctrine of justification?have been at the forefront of much discussion within biblical studies and theology in light of the New Perspective on Paul.But that leads to another question: Have we understood the Reformers correctly? With that in mind, these essays seek to enable a more careful reading of the Reformers' exegesis of Pauline texts. Each chapter pairs a Reformer with a Pauline letter and then brings together a historical theologian and a biblical scholar to examine these Reformation-era readings of Paul. In doing so, this volume seeks a better understanding of the Reformers and the true meaning of the biblical text.
You May Also Be Interested In
About "Reformation Readings of Paul"
Table Of Contents
- Did The Protestant Reformers Understand Paul Correctly? Has The Church Today Been Unduly Influenced By Reformation-era Misreadings Of The Pauline Epistles? These Questions?especially As They Pertain To Martin Luther's Interpretation Of The Pauline Doctrine Of Justification?have Been At The Forefront Of Much Discussion Within Biblical Studies And Theology In Light Of The New Perspective On Paul.but That Leads To Another Question: Have We Understood The Reformers Correctly? With That In Mind, These Essays Seek To Enable A More Careful Reading Of The Reformers' Exegesis Of Pauline Texts. Each Chapter Pairs A Reformer With A Pauline Letter And Then Brings Together A Historical Theologian And A Biblical Scholar To Examine These Reformation-era Readings Of Paul. In Doing So, This Volume Seeks A Better Understanding Of The Reformers And The True Meaning Of The Biblical Text.
- galatians And Martin Luther
- 1. Martin Luthers Reading Of Galatians: David C. Fink2. The Text Of Galatians And The Theology Of Luther: John M. G. Barclay
- romans And Philipp Melanchthon
- 3. Philipp Melanchthons Reading Of Romans: Robert Kolb4. The Text Of Romans And The Theology Of Melanchthon: Mark Seifrid
- ephesians And Martin Bucer
- 5. Martin Bucers Reading Of Ephesians: Brian Lugioyo6. The Text Of Ephesians And The Theology Of Bucer: Wesley Hill
- 1 & 2 Corinthians And John Calvin
- 7. John Calvins Reading Of The Corinthian Epistles: Michael Allen8. The Text Of 1 & 2 Corinthians And The Theology Of Calvin: Dane C. Ortlund
- the Letters Of Paul And Thomas Cranmer
- 9. Thomas Cranmers Reading Of Pauls Letters: Ashley Null10. The Texts Of Paul And The Theology Of Cranmer: Jonathan A. Linebaugh
- In Conclusion: The Story Of Reformation Readings: Gerald Braycontributorsauthor Indexsubject Indexscripture Index