The Blackwell Companion to Eastern Christianity
Now available in paperback, this Companion
offers an unparalleled survey of the history, theology, doctrine, worship, art, culture and politics that make up the churches of Eastern Christianity.
- Covers both Byzantine traditions (such as the Greek, Russian and Georgian churches) and Oriental traditions (such as the Armenian, Coptic and Syrian churches)
- Brings together an international team of experts to offer the first book of its kind on the subject of Eastern Christianity
- Contributes to our understanding of recent political events in the Middle East and Eastern Europe by providing much needed background information
- May be used alongside The Blackwell Dictionary of Eastern Christianity (1999) for a complete student resource
You May Also Be Interested In
About "The Blackwell Companion to Eastern Christianity"
Table Of Contents
- List Of Illustrations. Notes On Contributors. Preface. 1 Arab Christianity (david Thomas). 2 Armenian Christianity (vrej Nerses Nersessian). 3 Bulgarian Christianity (ivan Zhelev Dimitrov). 4 Byzantine Christianity (hannah Hunt). 5 Coptic Christianity (janet A. Timbie). 6 Ethiopian Christianity (david Appleyard). 7 Georgian Christianity (stephen H. Rapp, Jr.). 8 Greek Christianity After 1453 (vrasidas Karalis). 9 Romanian Christianity (mircea Pacurariu). 10 Russian Christianity (basil Lourie) 11 Serbian Christianity (radmila Radic). 12 Syriac Christianity (heleen Murre-van Den Berg). 13 Eastern Christianity In The United States (thomas Fitzgerald). 14 Eastern Christianity In China (jeremias Norman). 15 Eastern Catholic Christianity (peter Galadza). 16 Eastern Christian Liturgical Traditions: Eastern Orthodox (graham Woolfenden). 17 Eastern Christian Liturgical Traditions: Oriental Orthodox (bryan D. Spinks). 18 Eastern Christian Iconographic And Architectural Traditions: Eastern Orthodox (alexander Grishin). 19 Eastern Christian Iconographic And Architectural Traditions: Oriental Orthodox (lucy-anne Hunt). 20 Eastern Christian Hagiographical Traditions: Eastern Orthodox (dimitri Brady). 21 Eastern Christian Hagiographical Traditions: Oriental Orthodox: Syriac Hagiography (eva Synek). 22 Eastern Christian Hagiographical Traditions: Oriental Orthodox: Coptic Hagiography (youhanna Nessim Youssef). 23 Eastern Christian Hagiographical Traditions: Oriental Orthodox: Armenian Hagiography (vrej Nerses Nersessian). 24 Sociology And Eastern Orthodoxy (peter Mcmylor And Maria Vorozhishcheva). Index.