The Holy Spirit
- Publisher Beginning with the Church Fathers and moving right through to the present day, The Holy Spirit offers a theologically informed, international collection of the most important texts relating to Christians' understanding of the Holy Spirit.
- A new volume of texts and readings offering a chronologically-organized selection of the most important and interesting writings on the Holy Spirit
- Considers how the Holy Spirit has always been an integral part of both Christian belief and systematic theology - from the Church Fathers through to the present day
- Each set of readings is prefaced by an introduction from the editor, drawing out the main themes and important historical points, and linking the readings to what has gone before
- Tackles the disagreements over the role of the Holy Spirit within the Trinity, and how it was a contributing factor in the split between the Western and Eastern Church
- Opens with a newly-commissioned essay describing the importance of the Holy Spirit in the theology of the last one hundred years, and in particular in relation to the revival of Trinitarian theology
You May Also Be Interested In
About "The Holy Spirit"
List of Illustrations.About the Authors.List of Sources and Acknowledgments.For Further Reading.Introduction.PART I: Recent Questions.1. You Wonder Where the Spirit Went Robert W. Jenson.2. Trinity Richard Norris.3. Living Into the Mystery of the Holy Trinity: Trinity, Prayer and Sexuality Sarah Coakley.4. Word and Spirit Rowan Williams.5. Charismatic Experience Church of England Doctrine Commission (Sarah Coakley).6. Matter and Spirit, or What Is Pauline Participation in Christ? Stanley Stowers.Part II: Syriac Resources.7. from Hymns on Virginity, no. 7 Ephrem the Syrian.8. [Eating Love] Isaac of Nineveh.9. from The Holy Spirit in the Syrian Baptismal Tradition Sebastian Brock.Part III: Greek Resources.10. from Catechetical Orations Cyril of Jerusalem.11. from Orations Against the Arians Athanasius of Alexandria.12. from On the Holy Spirit Basil of Caesarea.13. from On Holy Baptism and On Pentecost Gregory of Nazianzus.Part IV: Latin Resources.14. Homily on First John Augustine of Hippo.15. from Summa Theologiae Thomas Aquinas.16. Fourth Sermon for Palm Sunday Guerric of Igny.Part V: Eastern Orthodox and Mystical Resources.17. from The Discourses Symeon the New Theologian.18. from The Pillar and Ground of the Truth Pavel Florensky.19. Redemption and Deification Vladimir Lossky.20. Trinitarian Relations and the Life of the Church Dumitru Staniloae.21. Prayer in the Trinity Adrienne von Speyr.Part VI: Recent Applications.22. Reading the Spirit and How the Spirit Reads Stephen Fowl.23. from The Epistemic Role of the Spirit Bruce D. Marshall.Index
Beginning with the Church Fathers and moving right through to the present day, The Holy Spirit offers a theologically informed, international collection of the most important texts relating to Christians' understanding of the Holy Spirit.